In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 432
Online now 476 Record: 10904 (2/4/2012)
The place to discuss inside information, the latest rumors and scoop on the Buckeyes
Anything and everything football related that has to do with your Buckeyes
If it's football recruiting, OSU-style, it's cussed and discussed here
Talk a little Buckeye basketball with your fellow Ohio State hoopsters
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Love the post but the fact that you had to write and explain the obvious to people shows how screwed up some are on this board. +1
Well said OP
Benny......I am going to go ahead and steal a quote that i am sure many are stealing but you just SAUCED THE RIBS with that post!! :)
Well said on all points!!!! i am going to print and post it at my desk here at work......some of us so easily forget what Thad has accomplished in such a short time here AND given the fact that he walked into a program ineligible for post season play the first year.
check out bloguin.com or awfulannouncing.com. Follow me @bkoo on twitter.
solid post by OP.
Could Matta improve his in-game coaching? sure. But I was giddy when they extended his contract few weeks back... extended Christmas present, imo.
I certainly don't miss the Eldon Miller 4 corner stall up by 2 points with 2 minutes left on the clock. And I absolutely do not miss that faint, rapsy, boston accent telling me "Well... if you expect to go to the Final Four every year.... you better root for Duke".
The OP and Singapore were awesome.
Guys that understand the game.
If you see this? Answer me this.
Why Haven't we gone to a full court pressing, liberal substitution philosophy this year?
It just seems so elementary with our personnel.
Do the coaches believe that it can't be successful in today's game?
3 bigs to protect the rim with 15 fouls.2 guards to harass like hell in the front court.
3 great athletes to patrol the middle,anticipate for steals (Thompson,Ross,Smith)
More open looks for Thomas in a full court game.(Guards know where he is at all times!!)
Seems so easy
"The only thing That Team Up North will be tasting this year is the salty tears of defeat" - UFM
Good stuff, Benny.
IMO our biggest problem on offense is we still play like we have Sully down on the blocks. I do not know whether our BIGS will ever be capable of the inside/out play which occurred with Sully for 3 years, but for now, whenever the ball goes inside there is seldom a score and often a TO. Other teams can now press the perimeter which means fewer open looks for threes. We were spoiled by Sully. With him the ball went inside and we scored, or if he was effectively stopped he would pass it back out to an open man. As Mulder says on "The X Files" "SULLLY!!!"
Thanks, Benny- also here is what Buckeye fans need to realize:
1) This team is a "mid member" talent of the toughest conference in college basketball.
2) They have been over hyped and rated all along.
3) Playing any other schedue would probably have us currently winning maybe all but 3 games.
4) I think Matta realizes that he can only do so much...it is easily seen that there are numerous problems "between the ears" of members of this team that we have never seen in other Matta Buckeye teams...
5) Defense can only take you so far,,,you have to also put the ball in the hole.....lack of other shooters than Thomas has showed up in the tough conference schedule.
6) we need to realize that other B10 teams are not going to play us an "lose a game"...we need to play and "win a game".
7) These guys need to realize that a game is 40 minutes and 00 seconds long....just like kids these seem to have spans of "attention loss" which become negatives very quickly.....Duke, Kansas,At Michigan, At MSU were all winnable games that we were not mentally in at games end....that is what seperates us from the B10 leaders....maybe it is youth, leadership, etc....I don't know....
8) You can't play to the "level of the competion" every game--you have to play to your level if you want to win...it has been a long tiome since we have "forced our level "on a team...probably the Michigan game here was the last.....
This post was edited by Bigjimmie 14 months ago
Benny....good write up. Well thought out and fact driven. But I have one question...
How do you know Dickie V's erection is huge?
Just thought I would throw that out there.
The last 15 National Championships have been won by a total of 10 coaches. Here are the ages of those coaches when they won their first title:
Tubby Smith - 46
Tom Izzo - 45
Gary Williams - 57
Jim Boeheim - 58
Jim Calhoun - 56
Roy Williams - 54
Billy Donovan - 40
Bill Self - 45
Mike Krzyzewski - 44
John Calipari - 53
Thad Matta is 45.
Those are some pretty damn good coaches with an average age of 50 for the first title. This argument will only be valid for a couple more years, but Matta is certainly not behind schedule.
22-9 final record......probably.
Definatly fire Matta.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports