In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 862
Online now 438 Record: 10904 (2/4/2012)
The place to discuss inside information, the latest rumors and scoop on the Buckeyes
Anything and everything football related that has to do with your Buckeyes
If it's football recruiting, OSU-style, it's cussed and discussed here
Talk a little Buckeye basketball with your fellow Ohio State hoopsters
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
* Michigan fourth-year junior left tackle Taylor Lewan is supposedly a future NFL player and will probably be a first-team All-Big Ten selection this year (was second-team last year). On Adolphus Washington's sack-fumble on Devin Gardner, he completely abused Lewan. Lewan should have even been called for holding on the play -- that's how much Washington worked him over. But it didn't matter that holding wasn't called considering Diesel got there for the sack/fumble.
* Washington and Noah Spence are both going to be future stars. Spence had the roughing-the-passer penalty which was a big play in the first half, but looked good other than that.
* Shazier's acceleration once he decides where he wants to go is off-the-charts good. We might see him picked as Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year this season. His stats are fantastic. 115 tackles (70 solo), 17 TFLs, 5 sacks, 11 PBU, 3 FF, 1 INT, 1 TD. If Mant'i Tao had those numbers, he would have the Heisman locked up. For everyone worried about the defense next year, don't forget the Bucks will have one of the best linebackers in the country to go along with all the young talent that is expected to blossom. I also think Roby will return. So, OSU will have two of the best players in the country at their positions in Shazier and Roby.
* Philly Brown is going to put up incredible numbers in this offense next year. He's become sure-handed (I never thought I'd say that about him) and he's very "slithery" once he has the ball in his hands. His game just continues to evolve and improve. Expect huge things as a senior.
* This offensive line is going to be excellent in 2013. Fragel will play in the NFL and will be missed somewhat, but everyone else is back. And the reason I say Fragel will only be "somewhat" missed is because I think Taylor Decker will be solid even as a first-year starter. There will be some drop-off from Fragel as a senior to Decker as a sophomore, but eventually I expect Decker to be even better than Fragel.
* The Wolverines really hurt themselves with the uncertainty at QB. They needed to pick one QB and roll with him. Right, OSU-Texas in '05? Right Stan Jackson/Joe Germaine? Seriously, the two-QB junk rarely works.
* It will be interesting to see how OSU utilizes all its RBs next year. Obviously Hyde will be the starter and will carry the bulk of the load ... and rightfully so. He was a stud in this game and played well all season. Easily would have eclipsed 1,000 yards if he didn't miss 2.5 games, and still had 970 rushing yards and 17 total TDs (16 rushing). Will Rod Smith keep his job as the backup? How will they use Jordan Hall? What about Bri'onte Dunn? Is Warren Ball in the plans? And how will they use Ezekiel Elliott as a true freshman? It's a lot of quality depth, but we know how quickly that can disappear at that position.
* Ben Buchanan has been much-maligned -- including by yours truly. He played a big role in winning The Game with three quality punts. His 9-iron with backspin in the second half was huge. Note: Buchanan is the best golfer on OSU's team (seriously). Kudos to him for going out in style.
* Basil and the coaches need to figure out what the hell they're doing on kickoffs. Either go for the touchback or try and pin them deep. This back-and-forth crap doesn't work.
* Something tells me that Barnett/Bryant is going to be a solid safety tandem as a senior in 2013. That might sound crazy considering how bad they've played at times -- especially Barnett -- but I think they'll step up with big senior years. I'm especially bullish on Bryant. He needs to quit going for the kill shot and wrap up, but other than that I love what he brings to the defense. His forced fumble on Denard was TEXTBOOK hat on the ball.
* Defensive tackle is a huge concern of mine if Big Hank goes pro. Bennett and Schutt would likely be the starters. Hale would be in the mix. I'm just not convinced Chris Carter will ever see meaningful PT there. I'd love to be wrong.
* Jake Ryan is going to be a pain in the ass the next two years. That kid's a player. James Ross too.
* Mich's O-line wasn't good this year and they lose three starters off that unit (four if Lewan goes pro). That will hurt them big-time next year unless guys like Kalis and Magnusson are ready to go.
* Buckeyes had about 3,000 chances to put this game away, give or take one or two.
* I appreciate Jim Bollman calling some of those third and fourth-down plays for UM. Hilariously bad. Al Borges needs to quit taking Ambien at halftime. Course, if Brady Hoke wore a headset, maybe he would be aware of atrociously-bad calls being made by his offensive coordinator. Also, just going for it, period, on your half of the 50 to start the second half on fourth-and-3 was the height of stupidity. In other words, thanks!
Lewan is still as dirty as they come. Every play where I focused in on him he had a handful of facemask.
God, I'm going to miss Buckeye football for the next 9 mos....
Great write up.
Yeah Lewan should have been called for that, And Hoke is a POS when it comes to being involved. So they pay him millions of dollars just to motivate, and look stupid.
Oh........Shane Morris is a va jay jay. Got his first taste of Ohio ball this year, keep your mouth shut b*tch.
Those who leave, will be champions. - Justin Boren
I agree with the fact that we did have several chances of putting this game away but stupid and costly penalties really hurt us. We should have won by at least 13 points!
This post was edited by Mohican 17 months ago
Nice write up, Dave!
* I wonder if Washington will end up playing some DT, esp. if he keeps getting bigger.
* I just can't imagine what goes into the thought process that makes Hoke OK with not wearing a headset. That means he is just another spectator on the sideline like the rest of the administrative staff. He has no idea what is coming until it happens. I can't imagine doing that. He has not a single bit of input in managing the game. Not even calling timeouts. It's beyond me.
Also, Carlos Hyde mocked Denard's "feed me" thing after the game-clinching 13-yard run on third-and-7 with 3 minutes left in the game. I love it! Denard did that about 30x during last year's game.
"5 foot 8.....what do they want a basketball team?"
I loved that as well.
I personally think the feed me motion has gotten really stupid. While I liked it when we mocked scum, I've also seen a pot of other schools doing it too and it's tired, childish, and old now. They need to ban it.
I think at dline we'll be ok. I think we're going to have a lot more speed at dt than before and if carter and hill can give us a combined 20 snaps a game in the right spots we'll be really good at that position.
After watching the second time, I thought Goebel had one of his better games. He got gashed a bit at Wisky, but played very solidly against TTUN--he held the point of attack extremely well. Their OL got no movement inside. Shazier had another really good game--he is all Big Ten for sure. I loved the way he read the guard and met Robinson in the backfield on the at 4th and 3 play at the start of the 2nd half. Boren was very solid in there, and made some nice plays. Barnett and Bryant were wildly inconsistent--they both played better in the second half than they did the first. Hope you're right about next year--but I doubt it. If these guys can't figure it out for the multiple years they've been here, I don't think they will be able to do it in one year. Be glad to admit it if I'm wrong.
Dave, good stuff as always. Roby, no way he goes pro now. I saw Roundtree just abuse him several times and he is a good receiver but Roby going up against some NFL beasts would be ugly. The kid needs more work. Love him, but big difference between the BIG and NFL receivers. Spot on about Brown. His game has really elevated and now, I almost expect him to go the distance on punt returns and some catches. He has really worked hard and it shows.
I feel like Cris Carter could be a beast and coach Mick on his arse this winter could really mold him into a real force on the d line next year. I was disappointed in Vannet out there on Sat...missed some key blocks and had some costly penalties and the TE was never a factor on Saturday. I know our TE's are young, and I see great things from them next year...this offense will be down right scary next year.
I have to think Linsley is hurt....he has just not looked the same since before Wisky game.....can't wait to see the O line next year, perhaps best in the country.
You are also correct, this game should of been a much bigger blowout...we blew too many opportunities and it was funny about your Bollman reference..how good it feels to be done with those type of play calls....Go Bucks.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I'm going to disagree about the dual threat qb offense being an awful thing for one reason and one reason only. When you use a little trickeration back there instead of using one exclusively as a passer and the other exclusively as a runner, I have to think it can create mismatches and confuse defenses. D-Rob had experience at QB, RB, and WR this year and Gardner had experience at QB and WR. They could've mixed it up with those skill sets. Maybe a few direct snaps, or a hook and ladder. What scared the piss out of me was not knowing whether not Robinson was cabable of throwing. I heard that he said after the fact that he would've been able to throw during the game. If that was the case, and you're scUM, knowing that your offense had been stuffed the entire second half, why not let him throw one? Everyone knew he only ran when he had the ball. It would've been the trick nobody saw coming. Have a tight end get to the second level after blocking his way through, then getting open while everyone suspects D-Rob to run. Have D-rob toss to tight end for big gainer. I'm glad Borges was an unimaginative dumbass which made it easier to win.
Hoke is too busy pretending his arms aren't cold.
Damn Carlos was 30 yards away from break 1,000. would love to see him accomplish that goal.
"Basil and the coaches need to figure out what the hell they're doing on kickoffs. Either go for the touchback or try and pin them deep. This back-and-forth crap doesn't work"
What's your thinking here Dave? What don't you like.
I like the aggressive approach that OSU will not concede 25 yards to the other team - and when that kickoff unit is on all cyclinders -
I believe it gave us an edge in many situations. However there is risk to it.
I want our OLineman to have a nasty streak like that.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports