OSU coach Urban Meyer met with the media after Tuesday’s spring practice.
It was the third practice of the spring after the team took last week off for spring break. Meyer said the staff did not ease the team back into it as they went full pads and even scrimmaged for a few sessions. (Check out Meyer’s comments on video above and click here for our detailed report from practice.)
“I told (the team) I helped them with the excuses,” Meyer said. “We just got back from spring break and we had our first day in pads. I don’t think it was a great day. It wasn’t awful but it wasn’t a great day.
“It didn’t feel like a top-five practice. We will have to get back and have one Thursday.”
Here were more Meyer comments:
* On Braxton Miller – “He looked all right. The execution wasn’t very good because they were blitzing and doing all kinds of stuff. We didn’t protect very well. I saw a kid playing quarterback. That means staying positive and trying to fix issues as opposed to maybe getting down and throwing the ball into the ground … I was pleased with Braxton and Kenny (Guiton).”
* On Jordan Hall back on the sideline – “Jordan has got a slight tug on his hamstring. It’s precautionary right now. He could probably practice at 80 percent, but I held him out because I want to get him healthy for Saturday.”
* On Hall coming back for a fifth year – “There really wasn’t a decision. He wasn’t healthy enough to play (last year). I was told he couldn’t go. He wasn’t ready to move on to (the NFL). He’s got to have a good year. I think he will. I do think he could play in the NFL but he has to play well this year.
“His toughness I don’t need to see. He’ll play a new position. I don’t need to see him run the inside zone much. We’ll have him ready for that. He picked up (the offense) so fast. Before he tugged it … that’s my fault. I saw him lay out for a couple of plays. The amount of running for a receiver compared to a running back, he just wasn’t ready. I looked at my strength coach and we both realized we made an error.”
* On Carlos Hyde – “Carlos had a good day. He’s probably three for three. We call it grade the day. You walk in the meeting room and each kid is graded on that day. I’d say he is probably three for three.
“I don’t want to blow him up because the competition there is still strong. But if he’s right and he goes like he did in certain games last year, he is as good as anyone in the country.”
* On the search warrant/rape investigation where three players were named – “I can’t comment on any student issues. There is a lot of stuff I don’t know.”
* On the wide receiver group – “They had a good day. Thursday (before the break) was probably their best day as a group. But today, I’ll know more after watching the film.”
* Meyer confirmed he went down to Fort Myers, Fla., to see his daughter last week during break and spoke at some Buckeye Clubs down there.
* The Buckeyes will also practice on Thursday and Saturday this week.
Already have an account? Sign In